CITY OF WINDY HILLS
In our continuing efforts to keep our city compliant, and to be fair and consistent to all, please review the following items which will help us accomplish that goal in the upcoming year.
PARKING OF MOTOR VEHICLES/BOATS/TRAILERS AND OTHER OCCASIONAL USE VEHICLES
- Overnight parking is not permitted on any city street or cul-de-sac between the hours of 2:00 AM and 5:00 AM.
- No motor vehicle (every day or occasional use) may be parked on any unpaved area.
- Trailers, Boats, Campers and other Occasional use vehicles may not be stored in driveways or yards, where they extend beyond the front line of the home.
- Illegal Parking- Abandoned, inoperable, or unlicensed vehicles are not allowed in the City unless stored in a garage.
- Parking in the wrong direction on city streets is not permitted at any time.
- No more than 4 cars, including occasional use vehicles, may be permanently parked in the open at any city residence (less than 20,000 square feet lot). Exceptions can be made for temporary or holiday situations.
- Realtor signs are only allowed in the yard of the home for sale and must be placed behind the right of way. (Generally, 15-18 feet back from the street curb, or behind sidewalks, where applicable) Directional (pointer) signs to the property are not allowed on any street, island, entrance, or right of way, at any time. Our city does have City Approved signs for this purpose. All signs must be removed the day of closing. Please advise your Realtor.
- Commercial advertising signs are not allowed in the city unless work is actively in progress at the property. When allowed, they may not be placed, on any Right of Way, or before work begins and must be removed the day the work is complete.
- Personal Event Signs (Yard Sales. Auctions, Estate Sales) are allowed on a limited basis. They may not be placed more than 24 hours before your event begins and must be removed immediately after the event conclusion. They may not be placed at city signature entrances, or on any city right of way. (At least 15-18’ from the street)
- Personal “Children at Play” signs do not conform to the “Manual of Approved Traffic Control Signage” used in Kentucky. They are not permitted on City Entrances, Islands, or Right of Ways (including your yard). Rights of Ways extend 30 feet from the center line of the street (generally 15-18 feet from the curb, or behind sidewalks where applicable).
- Personal signs, including lost pet notices and yard sales, may not be affixed to any city street signs, light posts, benches, or waste containers at any time. They will be removed immediately. Reach Alert is recommended for lost pets.
GARBAGE/ TRASH PICK UP
- Garbage, Yard Waste, or throw away Household Items may not be placed on the street prior to Noon the day before the assigned date for disposal.
- Cans and containers must be removed from the street before 7:00 pm the date of collection.
- Tree/ bush trimmings and yard waste not in containers must be bundled in lengths not exceeding 4 feet. Plastic Bags are no longer usable. Lawn Waste placed on traps will no longer be picked up.
- Items too heavy or cans filled beyond capacity of the contractor to lift, will not be taken. Please be mindful of unusually heavy items, which may require special pick up arrangements. Please call 502-935-1130 if you have questionable items or amounts, or would like to arrange a special pick up for house or garage cleanouts. (These items may require an extra charge)
BUILDING/ REMODEL/ HOME MAINTENANCE/DRIVEWAY REPLACEMENT
- Windy Hills complies with Metro Louisville Building Code Permit requirements. If you are doing construction on your own, or by contractor, if a permit is required please be sure to obtain one, before work begins. Permits must be placed in plain sight on the property while construction is in progress for inspection. (Questions call Metro Government/ Construction Review 502-574-3321)
- Dumpsters/ Dumpster Bags/ Storage Pods should be placed to the rear of the property where possible, and should not be placed on any city Street or Right of Way. They may not be on-site for longer than 30 days, without special approval of Windy Hills Code Enforcement.
- Unused building materials/ building waste/ throw away appliances should be stored in the rear of the property and must be removed promptly when construction is complete.
- Grass may not be allowed to grow higher than 7 inches.
- For the beauty of our city and your neighbors, we ask that you be mindful to timely, proper maintenance of bushes, shrubs, and trees on your property.
- Windy Hills requires a Right of Way Encroachment Application when replacing or resurfacing existing drives, including an expansion of existing drives, or installation of new drives, where such work crosses a City Controlled Right of Way. Applications are available from City Hall or are also available on our Web Site. Applications must be submitted before work is performed. Failure to do so could result in a fine. Questions may be directed to Code Enforcement. (Driveway resealing to existing drives is exempt from the application process).
- Parking Pads of either solid or semi-porous surfaces, or any other permanent structure (excluding certain mailboxes), are not allowed on a Windy Hills Right of Way. (Parking Pads, in existence prior to 9-11-2017 are grandfathered however, they may not be increased in size.)
RENTAL/ VACANT PROPERTY ORDINANCES
- Homes in Windy Hills which are rented, (either on a long term or short term of less than 30 days) and those properties which are vacant for a period of 12 consecutive months (including those For Sale and under construction) must be registered with the City. Existing rental/ vacant homes must be registered by January 15th. New, previously unregistered rental/vacant homes must be registered within 30 days of the first rental, or when vacancy continues for longer than 12 months. Contact City Hall or Code Enforcement for appropriate forms and fees. Registration forms are also available on our web site.
Thank you for your attention and understanding of these important matters.
Windy Hills City Council.