Frequently Asked Questions

Click on a link to learn more

The City has twice weekly rear-door garbage collection on Tuesdays and Fridays. Recycle is collected on Tuesdays at the curb and Yard waste collection is on Monday. There’s more that you should know. Click here


The City does not allow street or cul-de-sac parking between the hours of 2:00 AM and 5:00 AM. ALSO, you cannot park vehicles on grass in your yard at any time.

The City can ask you to cut your grass once it reaches 7 inches in height.

The City has a 30-day limit on dumpsters and pod storage containers on your property. You can request a resonable extension if circumstances warrent. Contact Code Enforcement at City Hall.

The City requires owners of rental property located in Windy Hills to register and pay an annual fee.

The City requires that any signage on your property be off the City Road Right of Way (ROW). The City actually owns some of what you consider to be your front yard. Typically, your lot really begins just past your water meter, so move those contractor and real estate signs back. These signs may only be displayed when contractors are actively working at your home or while your home is for sale. These signs must be removed immediatly when work is completed, or the home sold. 

The City has a Tree Board and a Tree Ordinance. Information about both can be found under the Government section on the main menu. The City has certain rights over trees that are on the City Road Right of Way in front of your yard. 

The City requires that any boats, trailers, campers, RV’s, or other occasional use vehicles, must not be parked on a driveway or grass in such a manner that they extend past the front of your home.  You should also be aware that Metro Louisville does not allow you to park any of the above, including an automobile, within 5 feet of your neighbor's property line.

Thinking about repaving or expanding your driveway, including simply repaving what is already there? Because driveways connect to City streets thru the City owned Right of Way (ROW), an application for Right of Way Encroachment Permit is required. THIS PERMIT MUST BE RECEIVED AND APPROVED BEFORE WORK BEGINS. Please see the following link for the Encroachment Permit and currently approve driveway specifications.  Application for ROW Driveway Replacement

All City Ordinances may be found at this link, but we have listed those above that are most pertinent to you. Click here to see all of our ordinances.

6 Council Members and a Mayor form the City’s government. There is an annual property tax paid in the fall of the year. For more details Click Here.

No, but we do have an agreement with the Graymoor/Devondale Police Dept. that requires 100 hours or more of their attention each month. They are on call for emergencies and will keep watch on your residence while you are away. They also perform random radar patrols.  See the “Security” tab.

Windy Hills is in the St. Matthews Fire Protection District. The St. Matthews Fire Dept. has a substation in our City at the corner of Hubbards Lane and Brownsboro Rd. They have an emergency ambulance service as well. Their fees are paid in your annual property taxes to Metro Louisville.  See the “Security” tab.

Yes. A monthly regular meeting on the 2nd Monday of the month, at 7:00 PM. There is also a monthly caucus meeting on the Friday before the regular monthly meeting, usually at 10:00 AM. Both meetings are open to the public. Look at the “Government” tab and the “City Government Basics” submenu for more details.

Windy Hills complies with all Metro Louisville Government Building Code requirements. Replacement and/or major alterations to plumbing, heating, electrical systems, and the removal of any load bearing wall, requires a building permit, even if the work is being done by the homeowner and not a contractor. Repairs and general maintenance to these systems do not require permits.

It is the law that when work is being done that requires a permit that the permit be issued and posted in plain sight on the property for inspection. Please note that the City of Windy Hills does not issue permits. Permits are obtained from Metro Louisville. Call Metro Government/Construction Review (502-574-3321) with any questions or concerns.

Build away. Unless you are putting a fence around a pool no permit is needed. Be aware that the maximum height of a fence is 8 feet (yes, 8 feet) when it is behind the front of your home. A fence built in front of your home can only be a maximum of 4 feet high and cannot be built on road right of way. There are no City restrictions on the type of fence being built.

Yes. Call the City Office (502-895-4778) during business hours and we can send a Reach Alert to notify your neighbors to be on the lookout. After business hours call a Council Person or the Mayor. They also have the ability to initiate a Reach Alert.

We generally start the year with an Arbor Day event at our park in the spring. We are a designated Tree City USA and celebrate Arbor Day as part of our commitment to our leafy friends.

We have a rousing 4th of July get together replete with live music, free burgers and hot dogs, (bring a veggie dish please), free ice cream, and a children’s parade with prizes to the best decorated bike, wagon, child, etc. Typically, 10:00 to 2:00 at Sojourn Church on Rudy Lane.

In the early fall we have an ice cream social and free shredding of valuable papers that have lost their value. Ice cream and shredding seem to go together well and everyone has a nice time.

For the Christmas Holidays we have our Glow on the Green event that occurs on the Sunday after Thanksgiving at our lovely 4-acre park. Usually 5:00 to 6:30. We light bonfires and sing carols to live music all the while drinking hot apple cider and eating cookies. To cap it off we throw a switch and ignite the 18,000 lights on our famous 66-foot-tall Christmas tree.

And then it starts all over.

The City has a little over 1,100 homes and between 2300 and 2400 residents. We are a 5th Class City which is a State of Kentucky designation based solely on population. We are one of over 80 small cities in Jefferson County, but we are the best of course.

Contact LG&E to report a streetlight outage. Please allow up to one business day for your request to be processed.

Use the online form or contact by phone: 502-589-1444 or 800-331-7370.

Before you dig, go online to and choose Kentucky. Using their online form, request that utility companies identify and mark the location of utility lines on the property in question. OR, just call 811


Metro Louisville has a noise ordinance that tries to mirror common sense. If it is loud, and persistent, it is probably a violation. Visit


The City of Windy Hills "City Hall" is located at 4350 Brownsboro Rd., Suite 110.  This facility is in the upper Summit office building, suite 110, 4350 Brownsboro Rd. at the corner of U.S. 42 and Hubbards Lane.

The regular City Hall office hours are Monday through Friday 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.  It is best to call the office to confirm someone is in the office before coming over.  The phone number is 502 895-4778.  The Summit Executive Suites have receptionists available from 8:00 a.m. to 5 p. m. for your convenience to drop off or pick something up.