Windy Hills Garbage, Recycling & Yard Waste Collection
Normal Garbage Pick-up: Tuesday (3- 30 gallon garbage cans or equivalent) Windy Hills has always had BACK DOOR GARBAGE pick-up. This has NOT changed.
Ecotech employees will come to the back door to pick up GARBAGE ONLY not recycling. Windy Hills has NEVER had back door recycling pick up.
Recycling Pick-up: Tuesday (Must be at the curb) Ecotech has provided a 64 gallon green/yellow attached lid can with wheels for weekly recycling only. These cans are NOT for garbage, weekly recycling only. Other waste will contaminate the recycling and will force Ecotech to put the contaminated recycling in with the garbage.
The recycling cans will be collected at the curb. Cans need to be placed at the end of the drive opposite the paper/mail box FACING the street. These cans are picked up by an automatic lift arm on the truck. Oversize cardboard boxes need to be broken down so that they fit in the recycling receptacle. There can be nothing on top of the cans since they are picked up by the automatic lift arm.
Also, remember the packing that is often included in the cardboard boxes, such as plastic bags/pellets, peanuts, etc., is NOT recyclable. Please remove the packing before placing the cardboard in the can.
Other types of recycling receptacles cannot be used because the truck lift arm cannot pick them up. Overflow recycling cannot be left on the curb because it also cannot be picked up. If you purchased one of the blue cans from the hardware store, it can be used but since it is NOT industrial grade, it might be damaged by Ecotech equipment.
Yard Waste Pick-up: Mondays from March thru November and alternate weeks during the winter months, December – February. (No yard waste collection at the Condominiums.)
Contact Numbers: 502-935-1130 for missed pick-up or to schedule large items.
All garbage is collected on Tuesdays.
- Holidays observed: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, July 4, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. Pick-ups for trash, yard waste, and recycling will be scheduled one day late the day after a holiday. For example, if the holiday falls on Monday, trash will be collected Wednesday and Saturday, Recycling will be collected one day late on Wednesday and Yard Waste will be collected one day late on Tuesday.
- Garbage, yard waste, and recycling cannot be placed at the collection point before noon the day prior to collection day and all cans must be removed by 7 p.m. on collection day. For example, yard waste may be placed after noon on Sunday but cans have to be removed by 7 PM Monday evening.
- Three 30 gallon garbage cans or the equivalent are the limit at the rear door or curb, whichever the resident may choose. If unusual circumstances arise such as moving in or out or cleaning out a basement, the resident is asked to place the items at the curb after calling 502-935-1130 to place a special pick-up request with Ecotech customer service. These special pick-up materials must be placed at the curb. One week advance notice is preferred for a special request.
- Items prohibited from pick-up include scrap metal, concrete blocks, building and remodeling materials, discarded appliances, any hazardous waste or liquid waste, oil, antifreeze, fencing, dirt, oxygen tanks, gas cans, propane tanks, biomedical waste, needles, and tires.
- Residents may make arrangements for a 96 gallon wheeled container by calling 502-935-1130. The charge is $3.00 per month paid annually by credit card for a total of $36.00. Please allow a minimum of two weeks when ordering a personal wheeled garbage can. The 96 gallon can on wheels must be wheeled to the curb.
Ecotech will NOT pick it up at your back door like they will the smaller containers since cans must be taken to the curb to be dumped and returned to the rear after dumping.
- Residents may make special arrangements for large items three (3) times per year at no charge by calling Ecotech customer service at 502-935-1130. Items include mattresses or box springs wrapped in plastic, chairs, tables, and appliances tagged with proper removal stickers from a certified technician.
- Yard Waste: All yard waste must be placed in biodegradable paper bags, cans properly marked yard waste, or bundled and tied with rope or string. Plastic bags have been banned by Jefferson County ordinance. All twigs, branches, and shrubs must be 6” in diameter or less and no more than 4 feet in length. All yard waste bundles, bags, and containers must weigh 50 pounds or less. Unacceptable materials include loose dirt, sod, tree stumps, complete trees that are removed, fencing, landscape timbers, and decking.
- Recycling: Current materials accepted include plastics #1 thru #7, milk jugs, aluminum cans, tin cans, unbroken clear and brown glass, paper and cardboard (Anything that tears such as brochures, pamphlets, posters, newspapers, inserts, magazines, cereal boxes).
- Yard waste and recycling stickers are available from the Windy Hills office or from Ecotech.
Effective July 1, 2021, the City entered into a new sanitation collection contract with Ecotech.